Congregation Sha’aray Shalom turns 60 this year!!
Join us for our year-long celebration – Concerts, Learning, Special Services, Dinners and so much more…!
Synagogue Serving South Shore Jewish Community Marks 60th Anniversary with New Fall Events Open to Public
For six decades, Jewish families up and down the South Shore, hailing from 30 towns along the coast from Boston to Plymouth, have called it their religious and social home.
Now celebrating its 60th anniversary on Main Street in Hingham, and led by Rabbi Shira Joseph and Cantor Steven Weiss, Congregation Sha’aray Shalom this week announced a long list of celebratory programming marking the occasion.
“We have a tradition of an open door which welcomes every family member — Jews by birth, Jews by choice, and non-Jewish family members — and strives to integrate them into our community. As we open our doors to the community in this, our 60th year, our strength draws on our commitment to honor and respect the diversity of our backgrounds,” said Rabbi Shira Joseph, the spiritual leader of the temple since 2003.
Affiliated with the Union of Reform Judaism, Congregation Sha’aray Shalom is also home to a vibrant, 110-student religious school helping to serve its 285 family members.
During its 60 years, the synagogue has welcomed all faiths and clergy for special joint services and celebrations as well as vigils during moments of national tragedy.
As part of its 60th anniversary celebration, the congregation has scheduled a range of events, including:
- A Special Chanukah Concert featuring Noah Aronson ~ Saturday, December 21 at 4pm
- New Year’s Day Family Brunch at Congregation Sha’aray Shalom, Wednesday, January 1 at 11am
- 60th Brunch Program with Guest speaker Rabbi Steven Karol, Sunday, January 12 at 9am
- South Shore Union Service at CSS with URJ Rabbi Rick Jacobs, Friday, March 27 at 7:30pm
- 60th Anniversary Shabbat Celebration, Friday, May 15 at 7:30pm
- 60th Anniversary Congregation Sha’aray Shalom Variety Show – Saturday, May 16 at 7:30pm
For more information on these and other events not listed, please email or call Congregation Sha’aray Shalom.